Friday, June 15, 2007

Out of nowhere -- two new peacocks

After 14 years as the only peacock on our block, Mr. Bird acquired company this week.

Just as Mr. Bird appeared on our block without explanation in spring 1993, two new birds have arrived.

As I began my 7 a.m. jog earlier this week, I spotted two birds pecking away at the side of the road.

Wow, big ibises, I thought. As I got closer, though, I saw they were a peacock and a peahen. They are much smaller than Mr. Bird, who was not around at the moment.

Throughout this week, the two new birds were spotted in various yards and were the talk of the neighborhood.

One morning, Mr. Bird flew down from his perch (he roosts on the frame of a porch swing on our backyard dock) and the two new birds immediately flew into our yard. They seemed happy to hang out together.

Some neighbors say Mr. Bird is quite interested in the pea hen. Others point out the pea hen follows around the young peacock as though they are "in a relationship."

We have debated over the years whether to get a mate for Mr. Bird. We were always reluctant to upset a situation that seems to be working out, though.

We love having Mr. Bird be part of life. We think he's a rock star.

1 comment:

  1. Bonnie, this is David, your husband. Wonderful blog. Really captures the Big Scare that Mr. Bird is moving along. I was of two minds about this: desperately sorry and secretly relieved that I would not longer have to tack down cardboard under his roost to keep poop off our dock. He is a wonderful bird and I look forward to much poop in the future. David

    ReplyDelete

Royal Enfield Motorcycles