Thursday, May 20, 2010

Congratulations? We have eggs!



Mystery solved.

Ms. Bird, our neighborhood's lovely white peahen, has laid four eggs in our bushes. Mid-day, I heard that same strange honking outside and rushed out to see what she was doing. She was noisily walking and squawking through the back yard, so I peered over at where she had been so resolutely sitting in the bushes.

Yup. Four eggs: A bit bigger than chicken eggs, but not enormous.

I snapped the photo, went inside to send it to folks, and, within 10 minutes, she was back sitting on those eggs again.

A good mother. Ummm. But I don't think our celibate girl is sitting on anything that's going to hatch.

Maybe the recent honking was part of the nesting routine. Maybe she's been hiding in the bushes with her secret eggs for awhile.

(I am tempted, at this point, to say "only time will tell." Except I can never write that, because I make my Florida Atlantic University students excise if from their blogs and challenge them to find original words to express themselves.)

So: We'll see, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Royal Enfield Motorcycles